Highbury Farewell 2006

A fond farewell to Highbury, the home of Arsenal Football Club since 1913 as well as host to numerous friends, memories and events that have been a part of my life for 30 years.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Things I'll Miss #2 - "Avenell Road"

I've spent most of the 30 odd years that I've been coming to Highbury approaching the ground from the "wrong end". I did initially see some games from the North Bank but the kids that I knew who came to see the Arsenal stood on the Clockend - and so I did. Graduating to a season ticket in 1983/4 for the clockend and generally drinking on that side of the ground has meant I've always approached the ground from the top of Highbury Hill and walked down Avenell Road. It's always been a crowded scene as you look down to the East Stand. There has always been the smell of the burger van at the top of the hill and the sound of taxis dropping off late arrivals. Now ensconsed in the East Stand the approach is the same - the queues are often awful but I'll miss it all. Finally, anyone who remembers the queue for the European CWC final tickets in 1995 will know that it can be a very long wait on Avenell Road...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home